Friday, April 17, 2015

Ninja Warrior UK: ep 1 review

I can't call this a recap, because ... it won't be one. It's more like a review. We'll give you every single detail of Ninja Warrior SE that you could ask for, but with the UK version we're just here to give our useful and of course sought-after comments. Actually, no, this will just be me comparing it the Swedish version. ENJOY.

This won't be a long review because I am exhausted. I was exhausted before I started watching, but the show did not help. THERE'S SO MUCH GOING ON!? With 250 competitors over 5 episodes (I think - one heat is one episode, right?) I realize they have a lot to go through, but man, it never slowed down. We almost didn't get any backstory on the competitors, and the commentators were speaking so fast I missed most of what they were saying. But, um, it seemed to be fart jokes and similar stuff so maybe I didn't miss much?

Chriss refused to write this post because she said she'd be too negative (apparently she's in a bad mood ... on a Friday night!?), but really, it's not bad. I really like the course. It's creative, and the obstacles are harder than in NWSE, meaning we don't get to see more than half of the competitors clear the qualifying round. We saw 8 clears in this episode (or maybe it was only 7?), and 2 who'll make it to the semis by going the farthest, which gives us 50 people in the semis ... well, that's a lot more than in Sasuke, but it's 66 like in NWSE. Though in that one everyone had to clear the qualifying stage, so ... they both have their problems, I suppose.

And yeah, after being a bit too hard on the Swedish commentators I think we take it all back. Here are some quotes from one of the hosts, Ben Shephard:

"The stuff that's different is Kammy, me and Rochelle, and I suppose the tone of our show will be slightly different because it's a bit more British, so I think we can have a little bit more fun at the contestants' expense."
 "The Japanese show is very straightforward. It's very simple – it's scaffolding, there's no frills, the water that they fall in looks filthy, it's done outside, it's done in the rain, it's very cold. Ours is a lot more Saturday night... The Japanese one, it's about the test. Ours is a lot more about the entertainment of the show and the humour. The others are all done outside as well - this is the first one that's been done inside."
- http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/interviews/a641084/ninja-warrior-uk-is-here-can-it-possibly-be-as-tough-as-japan-and-us.html#~pa954IzdZzkLeX
At first, reading these, I was like "the fuck are you on about? Sasuke is fun, that's kinda the appeal" (also: Sasuke one was held inside. It wasn't epic enough). The first stage is always a mix between hilarious failures and awesome wins ... but now that I've seen it, I see what he's going for. They want it to be fun. The commentators are supposed to make "funny" comments on the competotiors. We are supposed to be laughing a lot, while cheering. That's what they were going for ...'

...but even so, I don't like it. Despite our (mostly valid) complaints about Adam and Mårten, they tend to focus more on the fitness level of the competitors, while, sure, making a few jokes, but Mårten is there because he is a personal trainer, not because he is a comedian. I have no idea if the UK hosts are actual comedians or whatever, but that's at least what they are going for.

I'll watch the rest of the show. I am interested in seeing more obstacles, because there were some I hadn't seen before (and I will refer to some of them as the Dancing Penises because I am not mature person and will go there), and I really wanna see how Katie (the only girl to make it through during this first episode) does in the coming episodes.

She was also the only parkour person. Although they referred to it as free-running, which I guess means parkour in the UK. Anyway, Ninja Warrior UK has gotten us beat on that part: the lack of parkour dudes taking on the course was very much refreshing. Keep that up, Ninja Warrior UK, and we might just make a show out of you. ;)

Until then - sayonara ninja lovers!

2 comments:

  1. Thought I would leave a comment here because you brought up free running and parkour. Parkour is strictly being able to go from point A to point B as fast as you can. Free running is however when you add flips and other stuff to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, I see! That means 90% of those referred to as parkour people in NWSE were actually free runners.

      Delete

We love comments, they make us feel special. (*^^*)